Monday, April 20, 2009

MoRants - Global Warming!?

For the people that are on facebook:
This is the same as the facebook note.

I think I will start a series called "MoRants" where I rant about different topics that I give a minor or major fuck about. Everyday I am surprised by the way my name lends itself to be mushed into nice phrases or themes. (People that are my friend on MySpace can account for that due to my ridiculously awesome nickname MoSpace)

MoRant 1.1 - Here we go:

So, we still haven't been swept from this planet due to massive floods.
Actually, the weather still seems pretty fucking normal.

While I was driving through the Kansas countryside (endless), I thought about this again.
If we really influence weather that much, if we are really able to influence it negatively, shouldn't we start to be able to influence it positively? No, because the scale is waaaaaaaayyyy to fucking big. We can't build even close to a big enough A/C. We actually already have issues heating/cooling stadiums properly.

Then I thought about how 71% of the earth is covered with water. So... 29% is land... awesome math! I couldn't find an exact number of how much of that is covered by civilization. But 1/8 of the earth surface is inhabitable by humans. That means, we can - theoretically - occupy 12.5 % of the earth! That's not a lot. It's a small piece of the pie were we even live.

What also is not a big part of the earth, is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere.
0.038% of the atmosphere is made up of CO2.
Interestingly enough, 95% of the CO2 that gets send up to those 0.038% is absolutely natural and has nothing to do with humans what-so-ever. While the existence of CO2 is important for the greenhouse effect, it does not drive temperature. And... it's a really fucking small percentage of the atmosphere.

See some of my slides that I did for a environmental literature class attached.

My main source is Wikipedia. I know that it's not a legitimate source, but I dare (or actually ask) you to prove me wrong with more legit sources.
Plus:
http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39155109,00.htm

I think the biggest issue about this is, that many western nations spent billions to cut their emissions (I don't like emissions, don't get me wrong) while people all over the world still starve to death. Really... what are our fucking priorities here?


Next time in "Mo rants about the world":

Why the U.S. needs 5.500 nuclear warheads when it takes around 40 to kill every living thing on earth!
(+ "Between 1940 and 1996, the U.S. spent at least $5.8 trillion (in 1996 dollars) on nuclear weapons development. [...] $365 billion was spent on nuclear waste management and environmental remediation.")









1 comment:

  1. hhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I remember watching you present this in class before I knew you. I went home and bitched to Chrissy about you.

    ReplyDelete